There is so much to love about beautiful Kalamazoo, including great restaurants, breweries, museums, and more. Kalamazoo also happens to be just a short drive away from the western coast of Lake Michigan, home to a number of stunning Michigan lighthouses. While you’re visiting us at The Kalamazoo House, you should definitely take the time to drive along the lake, admiring the beautiful scenery, stopping to enjoy local beaches, and of course, photographing the stunning Michigan lighthouses along the way.
After your days’ worth of adventure, the restful accommodations of The Kalamazoo House will be waiting for you.
Lake Michigan Lighthouses to See Near Kalamazoo
There are 102 Lake Michigan lighthouses in total, which is truly astonishing. Of course, not all of these are in Michigan – some of them are also in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. The state of Michigan alone has 129 lighthouses, including those located on Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and Lake Eerie.
There are 3 wonderful lighthouses within a short drive of Kalamazoo, and even more along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan if you’re up for a day trip. Here are a few Michigan lighthouses that we think are worth a visit, starting with the three closest to our Kalamazoo boutique hotel. Each of these is within 90 minutes of our Inn.
- St. Joseph North Pier is actually home to 2 iconic, historic lighthouses on a breakwater with an elevated catwalk. As with most lake Michigan lighthouses, this is an excellent place from which to watch dramatic sunsets.
- The South Haven Lighthouse sits at the entrance to the Black River on Lake Michigan. The station was lit in 1872 and is still operational
- The Holland Harbor Light, affectionately known as “Big Red,” is situated at the entrance of a channel connecting Lake Michigan with Lake Macatawa.
- Muskegon South Pierhead Light is a brilliant red tower on Muskegon’s South Pierhead Light. It’s very popular with photographers!
- Grand Haven South Pier Lighthouses, two beautiful red lighthouses, is surrounded by an elevated walkway. It’s absolutely beautiful when it’s all lit up at night.
If you’re willing to drive a bit further, here are some of the most iconic and beautiful Michigan lighthouses to see while you’re in the area:
- Fort Gratiot Lighthouse. This incredible structure was built in 1825 and is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Michigan and the oldest operating lighthouse in the Great Lakes. It’s about 3 hours to the east of The Kalamazoo House.
- Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse. The Straits of Mackinac used to be considered one of the most treacherous stretches of water, making this lighthouse an incredibly important navigation aid. It was built in 1889 and served an important role until 1957 when the Mackinac Bridge was developed. It’s at the tip of the Peninsula, about 4.5 hours north.
- St. Hellena Island Lighthouse. The tiny island of St. Helena is home to this lighthouse. It’s best known for its brilliant white 71-foot tower topped by a similarly eye-catching red lantern. It’s also about 4.5 hours north of our boutique hotel.
- Mission Point Lighthouse is located near the tip of Old Mission Peninsula in Traverse City. This beautiful white clapboard light was built in 1870, and is beautifully perched at the top of a sand dune. It’s about 3.5 hours from our boutique hotel.
- South Manitou Island Light, located at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, is reached via ferry. Once there, you’ll enjoy the 100-foot tall lighthouse, and you can even climb to the top of the tower if you want, for a beautiful view of Lake Michigan at the top. It’s about 3.5 hours away.
- Big Sable Point Lighthouse is one of the iconic black-and-white-striped Michigan lighthouses The Lighthouse was commissioned in 1867 and stayed active until 2002. It’s about 2.5 hours away.
If you really want to maximize your visits to Michigan lighthouses, consider taking a cruise with Shepler’s Ferry. They offer a range of cruises to see Michigan lighthouses and is a beautiful journey in and of itself.
Base Your Adventures at our Kalamazoo Boutique Hotel
As beautiful as these Michigan lighthouses are, there really is so much more to do in the incredible town of Kalamazoo. To really experience the best of this city, you’ll need a few days to explore it all – and that’s where a stay at The Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast comes in. We’re rated as the #1 hotel on Tripadvisor, and it won’t take you long to see why.
Our boutique hotel offers 10 uniquely appointed and spacious suites, each complete with a fine range of amenities. Our most talked-about amenity is breakfast, of course, which is the perfect start to your day. Our gourmet breakfast is made from scratch for you every morning of your stay and is served either in the first-floor dining room, the parlor, or seasonally outside on the porch.
It’s our job to focus on the small details, so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the best of this incredible city. Fall is just around the corner, so book yourself a getaway or come enjoy the last days of summer with us at our luxury boutique hotel. Book your room at the Kalamazoo House today!