If you find yourself in Kalamazoo on business or pleasure this summer – or maybe a healthy mix of the two – we think you should spend the time to take a day trip to South Haven, Michigan this summer. There are so many fun things to do in South Haven, MI, and it’s just a short drive from our downtown Kalamazoo Bed and Breakfast.
While Kalamazoo is the perfect place to do some shopping, enjoy craft beer, check out local museums, and enjoy city life, South Haven is a charming beachy town offering an afternoon of lakeside fun. Though the beach is a big draw to the area, there are several other things to do in South Haven, MI, including shopping, wineries, and more.
When you’ve had your fill of the sun, the restful accommodations at our Kalamazoo Bed and Breakfast will be waiting for you. We’re located in the heart of downtown Kalamazoo, Michigan’s epicenter for art, museums, theatre, music, food, festivals, and fun. With ten luxurious guest rooms, you’ll want for nothing during your stay here. Book your room at our Kalamazoo Bed and Breakfast today!
Top Things to do in South Haven, MI
Pack up the car, head west, and in less than an hour, you’ll be soaking up the sun and enjoying all the fun things to do in South Haven, MI. Or, if you really want an adventure, hop on your bike and head west on the newly expanded Kal Haven Trail, which runs 33.5 miles from Kalamazoo to South Haven. However you plan to get there, get ready for unspoiled beauty on Lake Michigan’s shores and plenty of charming old-fashioned fun.
South Haven is perhaps best known for its harbor and lighthouse, but there are plenty more things to do in South Haven, MI, than checking out the lighthouse. The beaches here along Lake Michigan are fantastic, and it’s also a great place for shopping, sailing, kayaking, dining out, and more. Below, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite things to do in South Haven, so you have an easy-to-reference guide for your next day trip to this charming coastal community.
- There’s a reason visiting the South Haven Light is on the top of our list of things to do in South Haven. You can’t miss it – it’s visible anywhere in town.
- Spending a day at the beach is one of the top things to do in South Haven and one of the #1 reasons our guests love to visit this charming place! There are ten public beaches in town, but our favorites are North and South Beach.
- Rent a paddleboard or kayak at the beach, and explore the area via water. There are 91 miles of water trails to explore in South Haven, making this one of the best things to do in South Haven, MI during the summer months!
- Take a scenic walk along the Maritime District Harborwalk, which meanders along the Black River and South Haven’s bustling marina.
- The climate in South Haven is perfect for growing grapes, hops, and apples, so it’s no surprise that tasting your way through local wineries and craft breweries is one of the top things to do in South Haven, MI.
- There are plenty of charming boutique shops downtown, and strolling through these quaint streets is one of our favorite things to do in South Haven, MI.
- Even if you didn’t ride your bike from Kalamazoo, you can still stroll part of the Kal Haven Trail and check out the historic covered wooden bridge there.
- Take a hike at one of the many parks or trails, including Van Buren State Park. The area has more than 48 miles of hiking and biking trails. South Haven is, after all, a Pure Michigan Trails Town.
- Take a fishing charter and spend a day on Lake Michigan fishing, where you’ll find plenty of trout, bass, pike, and more. There’s also great fishing from piers on the Black River.
- Visit one of South Haven’s museums, like the Michigan Maritime Museum or the Bailey Museum and Gardens.
- If you visit in August, don’t miss the National Blueberry Festival. It is one of our favorite things to do in South Haven, MI, and it’s the most popular event of the year in town! Enjoy u-picking at local farms, like DeGrandchamp Farms, in the summer, and don’t miss visiting their cranberry bog in the fall.
- If you can’t make it out to local farms, don’t miss the South Haven Farmers Market. It’s held every Saturday through October.
Best Place to Stay in Downtown Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo is a fascinating town to visit, filled with various exciting attractions, beautiful parks, great restaurants, breweries, bars, etc. It’s a wonderful place to spend a few days – but it’s also close to other excellent day trip destinations like South Haven. After you’ve spent a day and enjoyed all the best things to do in South Haven, MI, the comfortable accommodations at our Kalamazoo Bed and Breakfast will be waiting for you.
At our Kalamazoo Bed and Breakfast, you’ll choose between 10 uniquely appointed guest rooms, each outfitted with a broad range of amenities designed to cater to your every need. One of the most delicious breakfasts you’ll ever have is included with your stay, and we make it for you fresh each morning. Our two-course breakfast starts with freshly ground coffee from a local roaster, Magnum Coffee Roastery, served alongside juices and teas, and then features a changing selection of delicious entrees.
Get outside and explore with us this summer between the exciting towns of Kalamazoo and South Haven. Book a room at our Kalamazoo Bed and Breakfast today.